I do hope you had a lovely break and are busy building your sales pipeline and plan for 2019. My intention is to give you some quick and easy ideas each month to win more sales to keep you motivated and active. Remember I will never suggest you do anything that I do not do myself. That way you know it works.
“Oh Gosh”, I hear you cry, “it’s the end of the financial year again. What am I going to need to do to improve sales performance in the next financial year?” You could start by asking yourself 2 profound questions like:-
“Which of my behaviours must I change to become a better salesperson?”
“Which of our company’s sales strategies need to change to get more business?”
Well, if you don’t know the answer to either of those you could get me to come in and review your current strategies online and offline to come up with a plan for you. Have a free 15 minute chat with me on 02 9427 3479 this week. Afternoons are best to reach me this week.
12 Ways to Improve Sales Performance
Give yourself a mark out of 10 for each of these statements:
People often ask me “What has made you so successful in business?”
I tell them my business was certainly not an overnight success. It has taken years of
- Focusing on one topic – Telesales – and not getting distracted by other topics
- Persistence when the going gets tough. I mean it would have been easy for me to give up after the GFC or when the Do Not Call register was introduced but I didn’t do that.
- Constantly learning and looking for new material on my topic. I devour every book, article and attend as many sales seminars as I can. After 25 years in my own business,I know a lot but if I only get one new idea from each seminar and implement it, it’s a bonus.
Making sales by phone requires skill. One of the main reasons some staff (particularly new staff) fail at prospecting is that they do not sound confident . Well, if you are new, understandably you may not feel confident so you might need to be trained in some simple techniques how to sound confident. You might have to fake it till you make it. This is so important as no-one is going to buy from someone who is not sounding confident in themselves or their product or service. Your job is to generate such confidence in your product or service and transfer your energy to the prospect on the other end of the phone.
When making sales by phone, here are 5 simple techniques to sound confident
1. When you call someone with an offer and they say “NO,” you can call them again because the next time they might be in a different space. Persistence does work if you do it in a nice, non pushy way.
2. When negotiating, don’t drop the price too dramatically just to get the sale. It makes it look like you were trying to rip the client off in the first place and makes the client suspicious that the products have much less value.
3. Do not lie to get a sale. Offer the client the right option for them even if you lose a bit of commission.
4. Pay the client a compliment when you first meet them . Comments and criticism do not build rapport.
5. People like to know the name of the person they are dealing with so provide it.
6. Do not be too familiar with new clients. Not everyone likes hugs and kisses from a stranger.
7. Do not make the customer call you about an error on delivery. You call them as soon as you find out.
8. If a client complains, acknowledge the client straight away before they tell thousands of people .
Here’s the full story of what happened
For Sales and Telesales Success, are sales mindset or selling skills more important?
Have you ever had to reach a Managing Director to sell him your services and played out this scenario?:-
1st Call: You speak to the gatekeeper and she won’t let you speak to the Director
2nd Call: You try again and you are allowed to leave a voicemail message but the Director does not reply.
3rd Call: You call again and leave another voicemail and still no reply.
4th Call: You email the Director but get no reply
5th Call: You call the PA of the Director and you make a phone appointment with him for the next day.
In this case it was your mindset that won over your skill. You did not give up after the first call. So often I am reminded how important it is to teach mindset on every course I conduct because, without the right mindset, telesales is just too hard these days. Having skills without mindset is just not going to work.
Here are my 5 tips for Sales Mindset:
I would like to invite you to download a free e-book “Motivating Your Mind, Inspiring Your Spirit” and check out page 25 for my tips on “How to Overcome Call Reluctance”. The E-book is the brainchild of one of my long term colleagues, Rob Salisbury, who has invited a number of speakers and trainers in our community … Read more
I m honoured to be invited to write monthly for “Sold” which is a wonderful digital sales magazine with a circulation of 100,000 salespeople in the USA. Here is the link to my page so you get this month’s article “How to Qualify Leads” and access to the whole magazine. It’s free so you can go there … Read more
We were sitting at the Port in Buenos Aires last week having a coffee and a street seller came up to me to show me his wallets for sale. I interrupted my conversation with my husband to say “No thank you”. He then proceeded to bring out some bracelets and again I said “No thank … Read more