Yes, I know, it’s hard to overcome call reluctance after a holiday so here are some of the reasons why you might take a while to get going on your calls and some ideas how to get over them.
1. You avoid doing the calls because you find a lot of things to do like the filing from last year, the email inbox to sort out, the paperwork to prepare for 2012, meetings to attend., the diary to plan
2. You fear you won’t be well received because people are only just back at work.
3. You believe the prospects on your list will never buy from you so what is the point in calling them?
4. You think the calls can wait till next week.
5. You have no goals/motivation so you have nothing to aim for yet
6. You don’t feel good about yourself and have a negative self image at the moment
7. You need to learn more about your new products you are selling before you feel confident to talk about them. Product knowledge is vital.
All of these avoidance behaviours are not going to serve you if you want to have your best year ever. Think about it this way, one hour of procrastination per day equals 225 selling hours wasted a year (based on working 45 weeks a year). There is a way to get round all of them.
Write down the behaviours you personally act out to avoid the calling? Being aware of those is the first step.
7 Ideas To Kickstart Your Telephone Sales
1. To achieve what you really want this year, set goals of how many sales or appointments you want. How many calls a day does that require and how many hours?
2. Start your day with those calls and do not do anything else until they are done. The rest will easily get done anyway, once the important task of calling is completed. The calls are what makes you the money, not the filing. Doing the calls also keeps you in a job.
3. If your product knowledge is not good enough to feel confident, go the extra mile and take brochures home with you to read and learn from in your own time. Don’t waste productive work time doing it then.
4. If fear of rejection is your issue, then just remember that prospects are not rejecting you personally. It is just an opportunity for you to try again with a better reason for the person to buy. That is why sales is never boring. Getting the word “No” is getting you closer to the first “Yes” so learn to love the word “No”
5. Every time you catch yourself saying or thinking to yourself something negative that stops you from doing the calls (i.e. non goal supporting) pinch yourself , write it down and change it to a goal supporting statement. For example, you might say to yourself “Oh, there is no point calling him now, he will be at lunch” . Say to yourself “I will call him now because he might just be there. ”
6. If not feeling good enough is your issue, write a list of your positive attributes and then create a mantra to start your day like this one. It will ensure your attitude is right. “I am a positive, caring, enthusiastic person who enjoys helping people to own our product. I am focusing on getting 10 appointments today in the 3 hours I have available to call customers.”
7. Start the year by calling the prospects who did not end up buying from you last year.
They may be in a different situation now and you might be able to revive their interest.
Even if they still reject your offer, you showed you care about them doing business with you and revived the connection.